We recommend you create two long-form YouTube videos a month roughly 3-5 minutes long, but no more than 10 minutes, on our marketing plan. From each video, we extract one YouTube short under 1 minute. The clip can also be used for social media reels and stories and added to your retargeting campaigns. We also add captions to it, which must be human-reviewed because the auto-caption generator does not always get it right. The goal of a YouTube short is to have a 50% or higher average viewer retention rate (and ideally higher than that upwards of 70%) since the video is less than 1 minute.
Here’s the checklist:
- Get the video down to under 1 minute. We extract a specific segment or edit the whole video down to under 1 minute with just key points.
- Fast, quick cuts. We take out extra breaths to make the video quick and punchy.
- Zoom in. We zoom in on the video, so you fill out the entire frame. This may not be possible due to resolution, and if that’s the case, we’ll make the right call for you.
- Add captions. We add human-reviewed captions with high graphic contrast 2/3rds the way down (correcting names, proper nouns, etc), and placed high enough in the frame to no be covered by social media buttons. We use your brand fonts, too, only going 15 or 20 at most characters wide with two lines.
- Export 9:16. We export the clip vertically and upload it to your YouTube channel with #short in the description only YouTube knows it’s a short. That’s all we put there.
- Short title: We may shorten the title, so it fits the ideal YouTube short title length of 40 max characters before getting cut off.
- BONUS: Use the clip for additional Reel and Story inventory on Facebook and IG for a retargeting ad. You can post it on any social media platform you want and drive people to watch the full video on the respective blog post.